Skip to main content

Classical Revival

Scope note

Use for late 18th- to early 20th-century architecture and ornament based relatively closely on ancient classical forms. For other architecture and art of the late 18th and the 19th centuries that follow principles of classicism, use "Neoclassical."

This term has 2 records attributed within our system.

Term type

School / style

Getty AAT term number


Narrower Terms used

Greek Revival


12yrs ago

Connected records

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: Classical Revival" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-03-01 14:34:48

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: Classical Revival|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-03-01 14:34:48|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...