Skip to main content


Scope note

Membranes used in musical instruments and other sound devices to modify the sound made by that device or by the human voice; their vibrations color the tone with a buzzing nasal timbre.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<sound device components>

Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: mirlitons" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-07-19 13:46:29

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: mirlitons|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-07-19 13:46:29|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...