Skip to main content

Transverse selvage

Scope note

In some textiles woven on simple equipment, the transverse edge closed by warp loops. It resembles a true selvage and may occur at one or both ends of the textile. WRPWFT

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<textile components>


12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: transverse selvage" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-06-24 09:01:59

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: transverse selvage|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-06-24 09:01:59|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...