Skip to main content

Mutes (sound device components)

Scope note

Devices used on sound devices to soften the tone, usually decreasing the volume in the process.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<sound device components>

Narrower Terms used

dampers (mutes)

Equivalent Terms used

mute (sound device component)


12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: mutes (sound device components)" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-07-19 14:23:33

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: mutes (sound device components)|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-07-19 14:23:33|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...