Skip to main content

Stays (architectural elements)

Scope note

Use for elements, long in relation to their width and usually set on a diagonal, that serve to stiffen or stabilize a member or a structure.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Equivalent Terms used

stay (architectural element)


12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: stays (architectural elements)" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-04-19 20:51:34

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: stays (architectural elements)|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-04-19 20:51:34|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...