Skip to main content

Blocks (quilt components)

Scope note

The basic unit of many quilt tops which, sewn together or to setting blocks or sashes, create the design. Blocks are composed of one or many patches, either pieced or appliqu├ęd. Blocks are commonly square, but can also be in other geometric shapes such as hexagons or circles.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<quilt components>

Narrower Terms used

setting blocks

Equivalent Terms used

block (quilt component)


12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: blocks (quilt components)" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-05-24 23:23:56

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: blocks (quilt components)|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-05-24 23:23:56|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...