Skip to main content

Cinctures (column components)

Scope note

Use for moldings located at the top or bottom of column shafts, especially of Classical design; for molded bands on shafts in Gothic architecture, not located at the ends, use "shaft rings." For angular bands around the base of the Doric echinus, use "annulets."

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<shaft components>

Equivalent Terms used

cincture (column component)


12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2023) "Terminology definition for: cinctures (column components)" Web page available at: Accessed: 2023-10-04 11:02:45

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: cinctures (column components)|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2023-10-04 11:02:45|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...