Skip to main content


Scope note

Accessories or main garments used to fill in the open or low-cut bodices of dresses or worn under jackets, made of fine material and with or without sleeves; worn especially from the 19th to the early 20th century. For narrow pieces of cloth worn especially during the 17th to the early 19th century, use "tuckers."

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2023) "Terminology definition for: chemisettes" Web page available at: Accessed: 2023-09-27 23:59:39

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: chemisettes|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2023-09-27 23:59:39|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...