Skip to main content


Scope note

Any of numerous devices used for taking hold of objects, consisting commonly of two metal pieces that are joined at one end or near one end by a pivot or spring, forming the two jaws which are used for gripping.

This term has 1 records attributed within our system.

Term type

Object name

Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<holding and gripping tools>


12yrs ago

Connected records

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2023) "Terminology definition for: tongs" Web page available at: Accessed: 2023-12-09 16:18:56

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: tongs|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2023-12-09 16:18:56|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...