Skip to main content


Scope note

Bowl-shaped or conical devices with perforated or pierced walls, used for draining and straining foods; usually set on a base or on legs. For other culinary tools used to filter foods, use "strainers (culinary tools)."

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<culinary tools for separating>

Term used for


Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: colanders" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-04-17 10:52:45

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: colanders|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-04-17 10:52:45|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...