Skip to main content


Scope note

Devices or utensils of fine mesh used for winnowing powdered or granulated substances and often with a contrivance, as a rotator, to aid the action of sifting. W

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<culinary tools for separating>

Narrower Terms used

flour sifters

Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: sifters" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-04-20 08:40:12

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: sifters|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-04-20 08:40:12|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...