Skip to main content


Scope note

Measuring devices with two legs movable on a joint or pivot, similar in form to drawing compasses but with two metal points and used, for example, to divide lines, transfer dimensions, or lay off circles or arcs.

This term has 2 records attributed within our system.

Term type

Object name

Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<size measuring devices>

Narrower Terms used

wing dividers
proportional dividers


12yrs ago

Connected records

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: dividers" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-04-18 09:47:20

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: dividers|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-04-18 09:47:20|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...