Skip to main content


Scope note

Barrel-shaped containers used to hold liquids, up to 30 gallons, having a taphole on top and a bunghole in the body.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<containers by form>

Narrower Terms used


Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: kegs" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-04-19 20:39:31

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: kegs|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-04-19 20:39:31|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...