Skip to main content


Scope note

Open, rounded vessels formerly used for holding either liquids or solids, today largely for holding liquids. In 17th-century England the term implied a shallow dish, whereas there today it means a deep bowl. In the United States the term has always meant either a deep dish or shallow bowl. LBFT

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used


Narrower Terms used


Term used for


Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: basins" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-04-21 07:21:55

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: basins|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-04-21 07:21:55|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...