Skip to main content

Casters (vessels)

Scope note

Use for small perforated containers of varying shape and material either made as one piece, with holes in the top and filled through a corked or otherwise plugged hole in the bottom, or made as two pieces, with a threaded stopper or screw cap; used for sprinkling sugar, salt, mustard, or other spices, especially at the table.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<condiment vessels>

Term used for

castors (vessels)

Equivalent Terms used

caster (vessel)


11yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2023) "Terminology definition for: casters (vessels)" Web page available at: Accessed: 2023-03-31 02:16:41

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: casters (vessels)|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2023-03-31 02:16:41|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...