Skip to main content

Onion flutes

Scope note

Instruments shaped like a flute with one open bell-like end, the other being closed by an onion-skin membrane protected by a removable cap, played by being sung or hummed into.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<sound modifying devices>

Equivalent Terms used

onion flute


12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: onion flutes" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-05-20 13:43:58

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: onion flutes|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-05-20 13:43:58|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...