Skip to main content


Scope note

Hollow devices used to intensify and direct the sound of a voice, usually, though not always, taking the shape of a long cone with a small hole at one end through which the user speaks, and a much wider opening at the other from which the sound emerges.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<sound modifying devices>

Narrower Terms used

speaking trumpets

Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: megaphones" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-05-24 08:50:23

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: megaphones|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-05-24 08:50:23|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...