Skip to main content


Scope note

Transferring an image from a relief or incised surface to a material such as paper or cloth, either by placing the material over the surface and applying pressure and friction with a medium such as chalk or pencil, or by inking the surface, placing the material, and applying pressure and friction.

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Broader Terms used

<transferring techniques>

Equivalent Terms used



12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: rubbing" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-03-03 09:16:10

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: rubbing|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-03-03 09:16:10|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...