These images are provided for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons License (BY-NC-ND). To license a high resolution version, please contact our image library who will discuss fees, terms and waivers.Download this image
Creative commons explained - what it means, how you can use our's and other people's content.
Jug/Ale Jug. Commemorative Jug. Coalport Porcelain Factory, Shropshire. Feltspar. The bulbous body has a projecting base, a cylindrical neck with relief scrolls around the rim, an upward curving lip, and an angular branch handle which divides into two at the top and has a lateral twig on the left of the lower end. Both sides of the neck and shoulder are decorated with sprays of applied hops and barley extending from the upper ends of the handle towards the lip. One side of the body is painted with a view of a massive ox standing facing to the right in a landscape, with below in gold, 'Earl Spencers Prize Durham Ox/exhibited at the Smithfield Club Show/Xmas 1843'. On the other side there are three wethers (castrated male sheep), one facing front and two facing inwards on either side of it, standing in a landscape with below in gold 'Three Prize Wethers Bred & Fed by/Mr Richd. Hickson of Hougham near/Grantham which attained 4 first Prizes in 1837'. Below the lip there is a group of agricultural implements comprising a sickle, scythe, rake, pitchfork, plough and harrow ?, and below the handle, a stook of corn. The base and the lower end of the handle are encircled by wreaths of oak leaves and acorns, and there is a formal leaf design under the lip. The scrolls on the rim are gilded and there is a broad gold band round the edge of the base. Soft-paste porcelain, moulded in two halves, with applied moulded reliefs, applied moulded handle, and feldspathic glaze, painted overglaze in enamels and gilded. Height, whole, 46.3 cm, height, whole, 45.7 cm, width, whole, 38 cm, circa 1844. Rococo Revival. Circular pink 'gold medal' mark. Notes: The term 'feltspar porcelain' in the mark on the base of the jug refers to the lead-free glaze for which John Rose & Co. won a Society of Arts Gold Medal on 30 May 1820, rather than to the body of the ware, which was a soft-paste porcelain.