Skip to main content

Place des Victoires: M.251-1985

Object information

Current Location: In storage


Place des Victoires


Maker: Unknown
Printmaker: Guerard, Nicolas




Double leaf of paper painted in polychrome body colour, and gilt. Ivory sticks and guards (18+ 2); the former decorated with gilt silver foil, the latter pierced and backed with mother-of-pearl. Paste rivet.

Double leaf of paper, painted in polychrome body colour, and gilt. Ivory sticks and guards (18+ 2). The front of the sticks are engraved with striations, alternately two with a line down each side, and two with three lines close together. The guards have three lines on the lower part. All were originally covered with silver-gilt foil, some of which is missing (see condition). The upper part of the guards have a pierced and carved floral stem originally covered with silver-gilt foil, mostly missing, and backed by mother-of-pearl. The front of the leaf is decorated overall with a view of the Places des Victoires, Paris, with a statue of Louis XIV in the centre. At either side there are two green bushes, and a border of gold flowers and foliage, which extends round the top edge of the leaf. The reverse is decorated with a street scene with four tradesmen, and two ladies wearing hooped skirts, and on the left, two gravestones (?)


History note: Colonel Leonard C. Messel (1872-1953); his daughter Anne, Countess of Rosse (1902-1992)

Legal notes

Purchased with a grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and a gift from The Friends of the Fitzwilliam Museum

Place(s) associated

  • Paris ⪼ France

Acquisition and important dates

Method of acquisition: Bought (1985-01-28) by Countess of Rosse, Anne


18th Century, Late
Louis XVI
Circa 1760 - Circa 1780


The source for the view of the Place des Victoires was probably the engraving of 1687 by Nicolas Guérard (d.1719).The project for the statue and Place des Victoires had been conceived and carried out by the Duc de la Feuillade in order to glorify Louis XIV. The gilt-bronze statue of the King by Martin Desjardins (1637-1694) situated in the centre was destroyed in 1792 during the French Revolution.

People, subjects and objects depicted

Components of the work

Leaf composed of paper bodycolour Width 49 cm
Sticks composed of silver-gilt foil ivory
Guards composed of mother-of-pearl ivory Length 26.9 cm

References and bibliographic entries

Identification numbers

Accession number: M.251-1985
Primary reference Number: 117836
Old catalogue number: DR 22/288
Stable URI

Audit data

Created: Saturday 6 August 2011 Updated: Monday 22 November 2021 Last processed: Friday 8 December 2023

Associated departments & institutions

Owner or interested party: The Fitzwilliam Museum
Associated department: Applied Arts

Citation for print

This record can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Place des Victoires" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-07-18 19:26:42

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this record on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url= |title=Place des Victoires |author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-07-18 19:26:42|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...