Vase with figures and animals
Lead-glazed earthenware covered with blue tinted lead-glaze and painted in polychrome enamels; a boy and girl standing on either side of the pedestal of a vase, with a dog and five lambs lying on the mound base below them.
White earthenware, press-moulded, covered with strongly blue-tinted lead-glaze, and painted in blue, turquoise-green, flesh pink, puce pink, orange, dark brown, grey and black enamels; the glazed underside is open up to the base of the vase, and has small slits under the lambs. The roughly oval base has an undulating surface and is coloured turquoise-green. Five pale grey lambs of different sizes recline across the front.. The base rises up into a mound in the middle and has a projecting ledge on which is a reclining black dog. Behind it is the stepped base of a tall pedestal which supports the vase, and has on the front a rectangular panel decorated with a putto holding a palm. The edges of the two steps and the edges of the pedestal are outlined in dark brown. A grey-haired girl wearing a low-necked white gown spotted in turquoise and orange and having blue edges and belt, stands on the left of the pedestal, and on the right is a grey-haired nude boy partly covered by a puce and turquoise drape. Their inside arms rest on the back of the fluted circular foot of the vase. Its upper part is of a flattened and shaped oval form with two strap handles rising above the wavy rim, Its lower part has bats' wing fluting picked out in blue; above on each side are two garlands of puce flowers and foliage suspended from a raised blue band around the shoulder; and the area below the rim has border of blue striations. The edges of the handle and its leaf terminals are outlined in blue. One of a pair with C.926A-1928
History note: Stewart Acton, Brighton, from whom purchased for £35 with its pair on 22 April 1918 by Dr J.W.L. Glaisher, FRS, Trinity College, Cambridge
Dr J.W.L. Glaisher Bequest
Height: 31 cm
Method of acquisition: Bequeathed (1928-12-07) by Glaisher, J. W. L., Dr
James Neale (b. 1837) was a London china merchant, who took over the Church Works in Hanley from Humphrey Palmer in 1778. Neale was not a potter, and engaged Robert Wilson to manage the factory. By 1783, and probably as early as 1781, Neale had returned to his London business. In 1791 Wilson took over the ownership of the factory from Neale, and continued to run it until about 1798 when his son David took over the management. Robert Wilson died in 1801. It is possible that this vase was made during the period when Robert Wilson was proprietor of the factory.
One of a pair with C.926A-1928. The object is unmarked but is similar to one marked NEALE & CO.
Press-moulding : White earthenware, press-moulded, covered with blue tinted lead-glaze, and painted in blue, turquoise-green, flesh pink, puce pink, orange, dark brown, grey and black enamels; the glazed underside is open as far as the base of the vase, and has small slits under the lambs
Inscription present: rectangular white paper stick on label with cut corners at the top and a blue line on all but the lower edge
Inscription present: circular white paper stick on label with a black line around the edge, the words printed in a circle within it, and the number written across the middle
This record can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:
The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Vase with figures and animals" Web page available at: https://data.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/id/object/313146 Accessed: 2024-02-26 05:46:17
To cite this record on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:
|title=Vase with figures and animals
|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-02-26 05:46:17|publisher=The
University of Cambridge}}
To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet: