Skip to main content

Tyg: C.128-1928

An image of Tyg

Terms of use

These images are provided for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons License (BY-NC-ND). To license a high resolution version, please contact our image library who will discuss fees, terms and waivers.

Download this image

Creative commons explained - what it means, how you can use our's and other people's content.

Alternative views

Object information

Current Location: Gallery 27 (Glaisher)

Maker(s)

Production: Richardson, George, potter

Entities

Categories

Notes

History note: Probably George Weare Braikenridge (1775-1856); his son, the Revd. George Weare Braikenridge ( ); William Jerdone Braikenridge (1816-1907); sold Christie's, 28 February, 1908, Braikenridge Collection of Medieval Works of Art, the property of W. Jerdone Braikenridge Esq. deceased late of Claremont, Clevedon, Somerset, lot 165; bought by Stoner for 37 guineas on behalf of Dr J.W.L. Glaisher, FRS, Trinity College, Cambridge.

Legal notes

Dr J. W. L. Glaisher Bequest

Measurements and weight

Height: 15.6 cm

Place(s) associated

  • Wrotham ⪼ Kent ⪼ England

Acquisition and important dates

Method of acquisition: Bequeathed (1928-12-07) by Glaisher, J. W. L., Dr

Dating

17th Century, Mid#
Commonwealth
Production date: dated AD 1654

Note

Drinking cups with more than one handle were the great speciality of Wrotham potters in the seventeenth century, and have been described as 'tygs' by collectors since the nineteenth century. They were made of red or brown clay decorated in white with slip-trailing moulded prunts, and heraldic motifs on applied pads of clay, which appear yellow under the lead glaze. Many of them bear dates and the potter's initials sometimes accompanied by or two other sets of initials presumably those of their owners. Twisted two-colour edges and white bun-shaped finials were features of the double-loop handles, usually, three or four (as here), but sometimes only two.

The initials GR on this example stand for George Richardson who signed pots between 1642 and 1677, and was the first recorded potter to put the place name WROTHAM on his work - on an undated jug probably made in the 1640s, and one dated 1656, both in the Fitzwilliam Museum ( C.116-1928, and C.130-1928). He lived in Plott (St Mary's Platt), a hamlet, which was the centre of the potting industry in the manor of Wrotham. His house, 'work house', and accompanying land belonged to Nicholas Myller, who mentioned Richardson's occupation of them in his will in 1653. Richardson made his will in June 1687, and the inventory taken after his death shows that he lived in comfortable circumstances and had combined his potting trade with farming in a small way (for details, see Documentation, Semple, 2008). His wife Mary, who had predeceased him a year earlier, was a member of the Hubble family of potters, and Richardson's son-in-law, Nicholas Hubble junior, was an executor of his will. A tyg by Nicholas Hubble senior dated 1654 is in the Fitzwilliam, (C.117-1928).

People, subjects and objects depicted

Components of the work

Surface composed of lead-glaze
Body

Materials used in production

red-brown and white Earthenware

Inscription or legends present

  • Text: GR
  • Location: On side
  • Method of creation: Stamped in relief on pad of clay
  • Type: Initials

References and bibliographic entries

Related exhibitions

Identification numbers

Accession number: C.128-1928
Primary reference Number: 71724
Old object number: 2842
Stable URI

Audit data

Created: Saturday 6 August 2011 Updated: Monday 18 December 2023 Last processed: Tuesday 16 January 2024

Associated departments & institutions

Owner or interested party: The Fitzwilliam Museum
Associated department: Applied Arts

Citation for print

This record can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Tyg" Web page available at: https://data.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/id/object/71724 Accessed: 2024-07-24 01:49:35

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this record on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=https://data.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/id/object/71724 |title=Tyg |author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-07-24 01:49:35|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

https://data.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/api/v1/objects/object-71724

Bootstrap HTML code for reuse

To use this as a simple code embed, copy this string:

<div class="text-center">
    <figure class="figure">
        <img src="https://data.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/imagestore/aa/aa7/C_128_1928_281_29.jpg"
        alt="Tyg"
        class="img-fluid" />
        <figcaption class="figure-caption text-info">Tyg</figcaption>
    </figure>
</div>
    

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...