Skip to main content

Tea infusers

Scope note

Culinary tools with perforated containers which are filled with tea leaves, or sometimes coffee grounds, then placed within a cup or pot of water to brew the beverage. Prefer "tea balls" for small perforated balls in which tea leaves are placed to be immersed in hot water to make tea. For culinary tools used to catch the loose leaves or grounds as the beverage is poured, use "tea strainers."

Term type


Getty AAT term number


Narrower Terms used

tea balls

Equivalent Terms used

tea infuser


12yrs ago

Citation for print

This page can be cited in the Harvard Bibliographic style using the text below:

The Fitzwilliam Museum (2024) "Terminology definition for: tea infusers" Web page available at: Accessed: 2024-04-23 01:55:18

Citation for Wikipedia

To cite this page on Wikipedia you can use this code snippet:

{{cite web|url=|title=Terminology definition for: tea infusers|author=The Fitzwilliam Museum|accessdate=2024-04-23 01:55:18|publisher=The University of Cambridge}}

API call for this record

To call these data via our API (remember this needs to be authenticated) you can use this code snippet:

Sign up for updates

Updates about future exhibitions and displays, family activities, virtual events & news. You'll be the first to know...